Brown County teachers and administrators are asking parents of 3-8 grades to avoid making appointments or rearrange appointments for students so that they do not miss important ISTEP+ testing next week, March 5-9.
The Indiana Statewide Testing for Educational Progress Plus (ISTEP+) program is used to measure student achievement in the subject areas of English/Language Arts, Mathematics, Science (Grades 4 and 6), and Social Studies (Grades 5 and 7).
Brown County Junior High will be sending out the following letter:
On Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, March 6, 7, and 8, 2012, ISTEP+ Applied Skills Assessment will be given to all 7th and 8th grade students in small groups by a staff member. These test are required by law.
Please rearrange student appointments. Make-up tests will be administered Monday, March 12, 2012, and will necessitate students missing their regularly scheduled classes.
ISTEP+ is important and students and parents should take it seriously. The results are used to identify students’ strengths and weakness, to identify appropriate remedies for individual students, to improve instruction, and to strengthen curriculum. Student remediation is conducted based on the results of ISTEP+. It is important that your son or daughter be aware of the significance of this test and take them with a positive attitude. You can help your student do his/her best by:
1. Making sure that your student attends school the days of testing and arrives on time.
2. Reminding your students to bring several #2 pencils.
3. Letting your student know that you are confident he/she can do well on this test. Encourage your student to do his/her best.
4. Pointing out that some items are more difficult than others and some material may be new.
5. Reassuring your student that there will be ample time to do his/her best.
6. Discussing the test the evening after the test.
For more information on ISTEP+ click on this link.